Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How July Evaporated in the Heat

So, I turned the calendar over yesterday to August wondering where exactly July went.

The second half of July went by in a watery, humid blur. Here's how the days began to evaporate.
In May and June, Kenosha experienced three unique wind storms which resulted in many shingles on our roof to be loosened or blown off completely. A hidden problem will be revealed soon because very little if any rain accompanied these "windstorms." We began the process of getting the insurance company to cover the loss and repair/replace the roof. There were many delays and several inspectors/contractors looking at the roof who failed to suggest we tarp any of the areas, ugh!

Fast-forward to July 22, severe thunderstorm watch is issued for our area and the rain and thunder begin around dawn. While having coffee and my quiet time in the living room, I begin to hear water running. I discover that yes water is running . . . down the wall between the kitchen and living room. Then, it started accumulating in the ceiling above the china cabinet . . . and finally it fell :0(

After a HUGE waterfall of rainwater, the ceiling collapsed onto the china cabinet :0/

After some dear friends came to my rescue and helped to remove all the wet insulation and such so the drying process could begin.

Oh, did I mention my husband was driving home from the east coast where he had been teaching robotics for the last two weeks. He was somewhere in upstate New York when my frantic call informed him water was running down the wall.

Needless to say, I haven't really completed anything or made very much progress. Actually, I am behind on both quilt-a-longs and the wedding quilt. Here are some pictures of my progress during the month of July.

Farmer's Wife Quilt-A-Long



14 completed blocks


Summer Sampler Series Quilt-A-Long, 6 of 12 blocks completed

A guitar strap cover for Katy!



This table runner is pieced, quilted and bound!!! It just needs a label :0)

Blessings of joy,

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I hope you have recovered from the fallen ceiling! Your quilt blocks are beautiful. I love the colors in your blocks and summer sampler.

    ReplyDelete